RE: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-18 18:55:17

From Lou Katz
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:13:08PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 08:50:47AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

| So Meng? What would it take to convince you to dump Microsoft's
| involvement and negotiations in this effort and tell them they can
| ride in back along but they have to stop kicking the back of the
| driver's seat?

The folks who asked me, back in January, to work with
Microsoft to produce a single standard, would have to ask me
to stop.

PLEASE NAME THESE 'FOLKS'

In the real world a lot of decisions take place in what are now
fortunately smoke free rooms but the principle is the same.

In December last year there was a meeting at the Aspen institute
where a number of Industry leaders and academics came together
to work on the spam and net crime problems. Neither Meng nor
Microsoft were present.

Out of that meeting came an invitation only meeting at Harvard
attended by all the major ISPs, the major email senders, the
vendors, the proposers of the email authentication schemes.
Each person present had been choosen specifically because they
could help get something deployed.

The overwhelming consensus in that room was that it would be
better if there was one solution rather than SPF and SenderID

The same sort of consensus has been present at every single
email/spam conference Meng and I have attended over the past
year - of which there have been many.

                Phill