RE: SPF and moderated newsgroups

2004-10-20 10:11:23
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of James
Couzens
Sent: 20 October 2004 17:53
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] SPF and moderated newsgroups

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 09:34, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
Hi all,

Apologies if this has come up before.

Whilst looking for something else, I noticed that some
posts to Usenet
are getting the SPF header added, especially messages going through
the ISC relays on the machine mailbox.ucsd.edu.  Most of them pass,
and none of them (so far as I know) are getting rejected,
but a few do
state the SPF failed (because the NNTP server sends the
poster's email
address incl. domain in the from envelope, and the SPF
record doesn't
desognate the NNTP server/relays to send mail on behalf of that
domain).

Rather ironic considering this problem is the very flaw in
SPF that has
had many a potential implementor's panties in a bunch.  As you suggest
the solution is a rather simple one.

Even worse is that we don't know the end point of that message and the
polocies on that server.  At best we have a load of spurious headers in a
usenet article, at worst we have no delivery.

Andrew.