RE: SPF and moderated newsgroups

2004-10-20 15:21:53
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

Those NNTP servers are broken.  Imagine that SPF had never
been invented.
Do you want the bounces from every failed delivery attempt of your
usenet post worldwide???  Fortunately, you only get the bounces from
failed deliveries by the broken servers - which thankfully are few.

If I post to a moderated group then yes - I want the bounces if I provide a
valid address in the From: field.  Imagine posting to a moderated group, then
having the post rejected for some reason - I want to know about it, otherwise
I wouldn't be able to see the article in the group.

If the moderator is using the NNTP gateway as a forwarder, the usual comments
about how forwarding is the recipients responsibility apply here.