Re: Sender ID in the news

2004-10-25 12:14:07
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:44:31PM -0500, wayne wrote:

| Mind you, I am still of the opinion that the SPF records can be safely
| extended to be the union of all IP addresses associated with the
| 2821.MAILFROM and the PRA.  MarkL, on the other hand, was recently
| talking about how he feels this is a bad idea.

He was not talking about how he feels it is a bad idea.  He
gave an example of how it could be seen to be a bad idea.

If I say "hm, it's raining" and you infer that I don't like
rain, maybe you're reading too much into what I'm saying.

As engineers, we have to make tradeoffs.  I think the
reasons to not reuse v=spf1 records for PRA are all valid,
but need to be balanced against other considerations.  The
major other consideration, in my mind, is the fact that
doing two records is unnecessarily complex for most senders.
And I want to make things easy for them.  Unfortunately, the
majority of senders don't care about the patent problems,
and they don't care about the technical problems.  So I'm
not sure how much leverage we have.  I see it as choosing
your battles.  I'm not going to fight them on this one,
though others are welcome to, if they can get the bylaws
drafted and the new organization set up in time :)