Re: Development - Marketing parallelism

2004-10-27 11:55:02
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:51:13AM +0100, Chris Haynes wrote:
We need to find a way of managing this natural, (inevitable?)
marketing // development parallelism without losing the benefits of Openness
(or
the entire SPF program).

Perhaps a fork of spf-discuss into
    spf-current + spf-future
or (better?)
    spf-marketing + spf-technical
?

Actually, this is a very good idea. Perhaps what we need is a division
parallel to the division in tasks. On the one hand we need to develop
standards and rfc's. On the other we have development of
implementations. Next to that we have the help list of course. So is
this something of a list:

 * spf-develop
 * spf-rfc
 * spf-help
 * spf-discuss

Not sure what discuss is going to be then though..

Has anyone got any pointers to how other open, high-visibility projects have
approached this problem?  Apache??  Mozilla??  Open-Office??

Linux?? In linux, usually there is one person per kernel version (2.4,
2.5, 2.6 etc) who is the 'maintainer' and has the final veto on all
things. Obviously, this person cannot be just anyone, and this person is
appointed by Linux himself.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.