Re: Re: web page on sender ID

2004-11-05 22:20:40
On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 18:54 -0500, Holm, Mark wrote:
Need a bigger type size.  I can barely read it. as it pops up in IE on my 17"
1024x768 screen.

The quote from Doug Otis belongs with the previous paragraph.  It is about
license issues, not technical.

This parenthetical statement:

 (and is the encumbered technology that killed MARID),

really doesn't add anything and is moderately inflammatory.  If you want to
include it, you need to find a different spot.  It doesn't go logically with
the sentence:

"PRA" (Purported Responsible Address) as it is implemented within SenderID,
has many technical problems that make it unsuitable for use in the real world.

The sentence is a technical statement, the parenthetical statement has to do
with social. legal and political issues.

Might be good to give it a bit more positive tone by starting with some thing
like:

SPF's developers and users welcome proposals that will truely help clean up
the current email mess.  Many SPF developer's and users consider that
Microsoft's SenderID proposal is technically unsound and undermines the
progress already begun by SPF.  SPF development and deployment predate
Microsoft's entry into the field and have achieved significant success to
date. SenderID, in its most recent form, appears likely to interfere with the
correct function and deployment of SPF.

One of the reasons that the Internet is so tremendously successful is that
its core technologies have been open for use and development by all.
Non-commercial developers write much vital Internet software, including the
mail transfer agent (MTA) programs that handle the majority of the world's
email.  Microsoft's licensing position regarding SenderID makes it difficult
or impossible for many of these authors to incorporate SenderID.  If SenderID
were widely deployed, the license issue would create a barrier to open
development of Internet infrastructure software that has not previously
existed.  SPF on the other hand has been made freely available to all,
including Microsoft, with no restrictions whatsoever.

Mark Holm

Done!  I've retained the Doug quote, and toned down its prefacing
statement to be less antagonizing.  Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,