Re[2]: OT: Encrypting Proxy question: What "MAIL FROM:" address is safe to use?

2004-11-09 03:35:24
Hi Richard,

Hmm. Thanks.  S/MIME doesn't protect sender's address, nor does PGP.
TLS is between the client and a server, so prevents my proxy from
working - that is if TLS exists and is supported and configured in
both the MUA and MTA - or in other words - I can't use it because it
won't work for everyone all the time :-(

Damned spammers - this would be easy if everyone was just honest...
(although come to think of it - the encryption would then be
unnecessary)

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake

RB> Hi,

MAIL FROM: <>  maybe?
MAIL FROM: postmaser  maybe?
MAIL FROM: postmaser(_at_)real-senders-hostname  maybe?

RB> There is no perfect solution.

MAIL FROM: <>  maybe?
RB> Most servers will accept this as this represents a non returnable system
RB> message of some type. But if it bounces it will be deleted and no return
RB> rcpt will be generated. Some will reject it out of hand, I've had bounces
RB> that could not be delivered back to the source MTA because it would not
RB> accept the failure report.

MAIL FROM: postmaser  maybe?