RE: SPF leadership council nominees: please accept or decline

2004-11-11 21:27:09
Could we have a bit more discussion about what the group would do, what its
aims would be etc?

If what you want to do is spend the next twenty years tweaking SPF then you
are going to end up as sad and irrelevant as others who have tried the same
thing.

On the other hand if you take a broader view of the problem you can provide
a forum for development of new ideas. Authentication is only one prong of
the three pronged Aspen accountability framework. Meng is already working on
accreditation with his Karma project. Surely someone will have a word ablout
consequences? IP based authentication is only one basis for authentication,
crypto is already being discussed. Email is only one form of messaging and
spam is a general problem.

If you call yourself a leadership council then folk will inevitably asked
who follows. If on the other hand you had a name like Accountable Messaging
Standards Forum then at least you could point to the fact that you do have
elections and you are at least succeeding in being accountable.

If you limit your horizons to SPF the result is likely to be unhappy. Call
it what you like, SPF is beyond anyones control now. At the FTC Carl Hutzler
from AOL announced that they are using the data from SPF to support a HELO
(ie CSV) check. Forget the PRA/Mail From argument, it was always silly. All
you can do as a sender is to define your edge servers and hope that the
receivers use the data you provide intelligently. They can use SPF records
to check the To field if they really want.

                Phill