RE: TXT lookup problem

2004-11-19 08:42:33
Hi,

your DNS library is not broken. Its seems that on pobox.com
they forgot to put the record in double quotes. Thats all.
I have seen lots of these records in the wild and I always wanted
to ask if the DNS libraries should cater for these kind of
records?

Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Stuart
D. Gathman
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 4:36 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] TXT lookup problem

The SPF record for pobox.com is giving me trouble.  It comes in two
pieces:

pobox.com text "v=spf1 mx mx:fallback-relay.%{d}
a:webmail.%{d} a:smtp.%{d} a:discards.%{d}
mx:store.discard.%{d} a:emerald.%{d} redirect=%{l1r"
"+}._at_.%{o}._spf.%{d}"

Ok, my DNS library give me a list of TXT records.  I
currently go through the list looking for exactly 1 record
that begins with "v=spf1".  Now it appears that I must glue
these two pieces together.
But how do I know when to stop gluing?  If pobox.com also
published a record beginning with "spf2.0", then it would get
glued to the end of the v=spf1 record.  Sure, I could check
for particular headers, but how could I know the complete
list?  Also, I thought that the order of TXT record returned
from a query was not guarranteed?

So, is my DNS library broken?  Or is the pobox.com SPF record broken?
Or am I missing something?

    Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911
Fax: 703 591-6154 "Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus
addictis" - background song for a Microsoft sponsored "Where
do you want to go from here?" commercial.

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/ Archives at
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription, please go to

This mail was checked for viruses by GFI MailSecurity.
GFI also develops anti-spam software (GFI MailEssentials), a fax server (GFI
FAXmaker), and network security and management software (GFI LANguard) -
www.gfi.com