RE: Attacking Domain Keys

2004-11-29 20:46:06
From: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 8:42 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Attacking Domain Keys

As is the implementation of any other algorithm.  RSA
signature validation is a very CPU-intensive algorithm that
unfairly burdens the recipient. HMAC-SHA1 signatures are much
faster, and you can optimize both to your heart's content and
still come up with the same result.

How do trolls perform the necessary key distribution?

If you understood what HMAC is then you would know why it is completely
impractical for this application, the authentication key must be shared
between sender and receiver.

I was not suggesting using an HMAC in DK or any other PK scheme, nor have I
ever.  As you are undoubtedly aware, there are other signature schemes
besides public key cryptography.  Some of them don't require key
distribution at all.  We have discussed it for a long time but I suppose you
missed it.  Please read the archives.

--

Seth Goodman