Re: Re: RFC 2821 and responsibility for forwarding

2004-12-05 09:40:31
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:54:14AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

Just a small comment here -

Surely a forwarder *is* a sender - he receives an e-mail and re-injects it
into the system - with various manglings of the headers according to his
whim.  The re-injection of an e-mail is "sending" an e-mail - therefore he
is a sender.

No. He's not. He didn't write it: he didn't create the content, he
shouldn't get the bounce message or the time-outs if it fails, his
postmaster doesn't want to see most of the types of error messages. Your
perception of it is common and not unreasonable, but I think it's mistaken.

The comment was: "forwarder is sender"
You reply: "he didn't write it"

In other words, you think the author is the sender.  This is a wrong perception.

Authors write, senders send.

And yes, this is important.  The forwarding machine may be allowed to send
a message authored by me, it may not pretend to >be me< while sending.

The forwarding entity is responsible for the message and should receive
the bounce, not the author of the message.

Alex