RE: Re: RFC 2821 and responsibility for forwarding

2004-12-06 09:38:09

But b(_at_)forwarder doesn't normally have the resources. I've been
postmaster(_at_)forwarder for something like 20 years, and I've
never had the
time or resources to deal with all those cases. It's just
been established,
from the bounce message, that c(_at_)recipient can't get the
email, so forcing
b(_at_)forwarder to go out of band to contact c(_at_)recipient is a
very unreasonable
burden. They're especially unlikely to have the contact
information if they
allow their b(_at_)forwarder users to arbitrarily set c(_at_)recipient
addresses.

This is a matter of responsibility.

As the author I send the message, if it gets to b(_at_)forwarder then the
message
was delieverd. If it is forwarded to some other address it is the
responsibility of those who arrange the forwarding to fix any problems. If
the message cannot be delivered, then you may tell me, but don't excpect me
to do anything at all to contact you.

If you nail you postbox shut neither I nor your postman will come along with
a claw hammer and open it up again.

I believe the following changes should be made:
Envelope becomes : b(_at_)forwarder
Header gains: sender: a(_at_)author

This allows SPF to check that the forwarding hosts are actually authorised
to send from b(_at_)forwarder and allows the b(_at_)forwarder to deliver any
bounces
back to a(_at_)author with a polite "The forwarding saervice failed to
deliver...."

Thus SPF works. Forwarding Works (with an extra step for the bounce).
Muliple step forwarding will work and multistep bouncing.