RE: Abusing SPF record for PRA testing

2004-12-12 18:37:27
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com
Sent: zondag 12 december 2004 17:38
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Abusing SPF record for PRA testing

Perhaps a representative from the SPF council should contact
postmaster(_at_)algoritmnt(_dot_)ru indicating that PRA interpreting SPF
records
is unacceptable, with the illustration of this particular failure
as being why.

A proposed response that the SPF council rep could use follows:

Terry,

While I advocate responsible net-citizens contacting neighbors on an
individual basis, as they see fit, I personally do not believe the council
should ever involve itself in such a fashion. I am, as you may have read,
all for sending out communiqués in which the council makes deployment
recommendations, reflecting the view of the SPF community. I do believe,
however, that it is not the council's place at all to seek out and address
people, ex cathedra, on how they messed up. At the most, in this regard, I
feel the council can issue a general set of deployment recommendations,
along with examples, if need be.

The SPF council should, imho, not take on the rather presumptuous role of
a parent chastising an errant child. In a free market, the SPF community
has generated some self-earnt clout. By means of the council, the SPF
community can choose to publish a certain vision, or a specific set of
recommendations for deployment. After that, people are on their own.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,