Is anyone else getting DoS'd by relay attacks?

2005-01-08 19:55:08
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if it's a hacker targeting me, or a virus hitting
everyone - someone's using "broken" MTAs to "bounce" millions of
emails at all my servers for the last month or so.

I am guessing that this attack is mounted like this:

A) Perpetrator connects to any real mail server
B) Perpetrator fakes a MAIL FROM: an email address of my server (which
   does not exist - and the pattern seems to be that they're choosing
   a deliberately non-existent address: I don't know why).  mail
   server chooses not to do SPF, so accepts this lie.
C) Perpetrator sends a RCPT TO: an email address on the real mail
   server (which deliberately does not exist I expect)
D) The real "misconfigured" mail server somehow this email
   (my guess is that they're trying to prevent dictionary attacks?)
E) That mail server then originates a "bounce" for this faked email
   back to my server.  Thousands of different legitimate mail servers
   are doing this, so my mail servers get swamped by crap that's
   impossible for me to firewall or block (because it's a real
   legitimate mail server "attacking" me).  It's also impossible to
   reliably (or at all) work out the IP address of the attacker.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake