Re: Sendmail white paper

2005-01-11 09:32:55
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 05:00:19PM +0100, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

The letter was never delivered to your old house, delivery did not
complete.

Just as a forwarded email was never written to /var/mail/username,
right. But it was received by Old Town's distribution center (which is
comparable to the MTA of the forwarder site!).

This is obviously where we disagree.  Userland files indicate mail
delivery, not mail transport.  Let's agree that we disagree and stop
fighting over analogies, shall we?

Bottom line is:  There's no reason to trust a message coming from
entity A and having a sender address at entity B.  In today's
Internet there's plenty reason NOT to trust said message.  SPF helps,
by providing means to acknowledge entity A's right to use addresses
from entity B.

For the record, when signing my mail with just "alex", I implicitly
mean to write:

with kind regards, with deepest respect, sincerely,
Alex