Re: [spf-help] New member with one question :)

2005-02-16 19:36:44
Sounds excellent!

Thanks for lending all of us your programming creativity.

One of many Sendmail curmudgeons,

Jeff G.

Mark wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-help(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com [mailto:owner-spf-help(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of jpinkerton
Sent: dinsdag 15 februari 2005 14:29
To: spf-help(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-help] New member with one question :)

Ok, the decision is made; I will abandon the use of Sendmail::Milter, and instead work towards a socket map for SPF.
Well done Mark !!

My honest opinion is that SPF is dying on it's feet because it is just too difficult and complex to set up supported
milters. I run Debian and postfix, but there is no supported
debian/postfix package for spf which I could "apt-get".

I did some serious testing/programming today, and the results are quite
encouraging. :) I already have half an SPF socket map daemon working.

The programming part, as explained, requires some creativity on my end, as
for an SPF socket map approach to work properly, several ruleset basically
need to 'interact' (IPC style) as if they were acting like a Milter (like
on RSET, for instance, data on the connection object as a whole changes;
and Received-SPF headers need to be inserted, and such).

The cool thing is, though, that the socket map approach, while acting
like a Milter, it is not a Milter. :) Call it a pseudo-Milter. But you
will no longer need a thread-enabled Perl; nor will you have to recompile
modules like Sendmail::Milter when you upgrade sendmail. From the view of
the local administrator, spf-socketmap will just be a simple m4 drop-in
(and a background 'static' daemon running, of course; but one that no
longer depends on the sendmail source).

If SPF is to remain alive, people with more technical knowledge than me need to write up *and* support packages/rpms/whatever
so that the average overworked sysadmin can install and configure the
milters easily ..

I am not an RPM hero; but I am aiming for admins who know as much as to
add m4 to their .mc file. If you can do that, you will be able to
install spf-socketmapd easily. :)

I will keep you posted.

- Mark
       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html

Law of Procrastination:
       Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has
       the feeling that there is nothing important to do.

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf