RE: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-23 13:58:33
At 12:01 PM 2/23/2005 -0500, you wrote:

...... Original Message .......
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:28:11 -0700 David MacQuigg wrote:
>At 09:55 PM 2/22/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Are we in agreement that bounces may come *after* a forwarder's SMTP
session is closed?  To repeat my earlier statement:  A bounce might come as
late as several hours, when the recipient hits a "Reject as Spam" button.
That reject should be treated as a "bounce" and follow authenticated
addresses all the way back to its source.

No.  Not generally.  The only time you can bounce without causing
backscatter is if SPF passed.

So how should a forwarder handle a bounce that comes from his receiver *after* the session with his sender is closed?

I agree an SPF check *during* the session is necessary, but that doesn't mean the bounce can't come later.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq(_at_)gain(_dot_)com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *