Re: The state of draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00 within the IETF

2005-02-24 19:34:35
At 01:43 AM 2/24/2005 +0100, Frank Ellerman wrote:

Julian Mehnle wrote:

> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=print_ballot&ballot_id=1599&filename=draft-schlitt-spf-classic>

I'm disappointed to see such slow progress in getting a complete workable proposal, including email forwarders. I know this is a minor and very fixable problem for SPF, but it seems to be a legitimate complaint from the anti-spf folks. Quoting from the draft:

7.2  The Received-SPF header

   It is RECOMMENDED that SMTP receivers record the result of SPF
   processing in the message headers.

Why only RECOMMENDED? It seems like this will be a MUST for forwarders. How else can they convey they results of their authentication downstream? Where is there any discussion of procedures for forwarding email, like how bounces should be handled?

I guess it's time to look again at DomainKeys. DK avoids the forwarding problem entirely, sidestepping it with an end-to-end digital signature. I understand that the crypto stuff adds about 10% to the average mail processing overhead <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys I wouldn't pay that price for just the super security, but its looking like IP-authentication will not have a widely-accepted solution to the forwarding problem.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq at gain.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *