Re: Re: Email Forwarder's Protocol ( EFP )

2005-02-28 11:35:26
At 10:22 AM 2/28/2005 +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 06:29:24PM -0700, David MacQuigg wrote:

> >Please show where this explanation states that forwarders
> >are indeed relays and not, say, a user process.
>
> Section 2.2 defines Relay as a very general term, including everything from
> User Mediators ( Forwarders, Mailing Lists, etc. ) to Packet Switches.

I don't see this.

If you are talking about 2.2.3 then you should also have seen:

"A Relay may add information to the envelope, such as with
 trace information.  However it does not modify existing
 envelope information or the message content semantics."

It does not change envelope information.  Therefore, if
"rfc2821.rcptto" changes, a new message was created.

OK. :>) Looks like I was misreading this section. Relays do *not* include User Mediators or Packet Switches. The inclusion of these in section 2.2.3 was only to illustrate that all three of these entities do store-and-forward, a minor point in my estimation. I would delete the last sentence of paragraph 2 and the bulleted list, or just put the list in parentheses: "Hence, interesting email scenarios can involve three levels of store-and-forward: ( User Mediators, Relays, and Packet Switches )." I used the term Relays, rather than "MHS Relays" to avoid the confusion that Relays includes ( User Mediators, MHS Relays, and Packet Switches ), where MHS Relays is some subset.

This raises the question why does anyone need Relays? The only example is in the first paragraph of 2.2.3, a text-to-binary converter. Seems to me that such a device would have to be outside the TCP/IP network. The data in an IP datagram is always binary. What would be an example of a legitimate use for a Relay on the public Internet? Could such a Relay be used without either the Sender or the Receiver setting it up? If we simply say that Relays cannot participate in an SPF authenticated exchange, do we limit the usefulness of SPF? DomainKeys and other end-to-end protocols can use Relays with no problem.

> >New message -> new source to new destination -> new RFC8221 MailFrom
> >
> >I'm interested to see if, and where, this document would allow
> >to retain MailFrom when RcptTo changes (apart from internal
> >rewriting of RcptTo perhaps)
>
> I don't think it addresses this issue at all.  The core of the problem is
> not what some spec allows, but whether it is technically possible for a
> Spammer to fake the Mail From address.  If this is done at any point along

[snip sarcasm]

The issue I addressed was the supposed SPF forwarder problem.
There is no such problem.  Once a message is no longer directed
to the original RFC2821.RcptTo, the message was delivered.

The fundamental problem is not changed by our clarification of the term Relay. I will use *Forwarder* from now on, and mean a User-level actor that receives an email and re-routes it in a new transit through the Mail Handling System. As long as there is an insecure *Forwarder* in the chain-of-trust from the original Sender to the final Receiver we have the possibility that the Return-Path can be faked. Here is an example of a piece of spam I just sent to myself, faking the Return-Path as amazon.com: