Re: Re: Draft ammendments on DNS lookup limits

2005-03-19 13:54:16
Scott Kitterman wrote:
Your retort will no doubt be that they should publish IP addresses.  Should
doesn't help me a bit.  There are supposed to be something more than
1,000,000 sender policies published already.  You can't change the rules on
them now.

If this were a year ago (or certainly two), then fine, but it's not.  How
many sender policies are you going to break?

About 3% would break. Of these 3%, *half* have syntax or other problems with their records (CNAMES, for instance). this is based on a sample size of 267 domains.

Of the 267 domains I studied, 97% already have records that are 10 queries or fewer, including the initial TXT query.

95.88% are 7 queries or fewer.
86.89% are 4 queries or fewer.

Makes me think that we should adopt a limit of 7 queries, given that only 1.12% of the domains fall between 7-10 queries (and I haven't looked into them, but I bet they can be trivially optimized too).

Setting this limit is more effort than I anticipated, so I think we might as well set it as low as reasonably possible (7). But I admit, this is *a little* wishful.

I'd be glad to tell you how many will break out of 1 million, if you'd forward me the list.

Thanks,
Radu.