Re: DNS lookup limits

2005-03-25 16:11:33

All this talk about compiling records puts us back to where we were at
the beginning about needing to do more to/on DNS servers than just add a
record to a zone file, the ease of which is another reason SPF has wide
mindshare.

I just don't understand the pessimism here. What is wrong with the proposed solution - an SPF compiling daemon that runs alongside the nameserver and gives us the best of both worlds? On the user-interface side we have a full-featured syntax for describing any possible SPF setup, and on the nameserver side a very efficient record that allows any SPF check to be done in one query. There is not even a migration problem. ISPs with simple records, like "+mx -all" will leave things as is. Those that decide to install the new SPF daemon will continue to use the same SPF syntax, but actually find it easier than creating complex records with a text editor.

What Radu has done is taken a concern which seemed to many like pure FUD, and showed that it is at least plausible. Whether that plausibility is only 1 in 10 or near certainty doesn't matter, because the cost of the solution is so low. In fact, I can't see any significant cost to making an SPF compiler/daemon widely available.

I think it is time to move forward with the solution, and not worry whether Radu's numbers are correct on the magnitude of the problem.

-- Dave
* David MacQuigg, PhD      email:  david_macquigg(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer           phone:  USA 520-721-4583       *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.            Tucson, Arizona 85710          *