RE: Re: Draft ammendments on DNS lookup limits

2005-03-22 10:07:56
On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 08:39, Scott Kitterman wrote:

If you are including another record, then you should not use more than X/2-1
in
your record and you must not use or include more than X total, but you
should minimize the number of queries.

This codifies the idea that ISP/ESPs should have more efficient records.
This also gives domain owners that will use an include a guarantee that they
can use one include and not break the limit, while preserving the option to
go count out the mechanisms if necessary for more complex situations.  It
also includes the idea that the record should not be any more expensive than
it needs to be (which is in the curren spec, but not highlighted).

I agree completely with this.  What ISPs should do compared to what
Grandma should do should be codified -- and ISPs who support vanity
domains are different than ISPs who force a locally authed MAIL FROM.
Although, I do disagree with the concept of "count out the mechanisms"
if the limit is specified by number of queries, because behind every mx,
among other mechanisms as well, there's at least 2 queries.
--
Andy Bakun <spf(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>