Re: Re: DNS load research

2005-03-20 15:37:40

Radu Hociung wrote:
<snip>

It would be very nice if those named above responded with:

1. Do you run your own SMTP server ?

Yes

2. Do you host your zone on your own DNS server ?

Yes

3. Do you run or administer your own MTA-based spam solution?

Yes

4. What is the nature of your experience in the world of SMTP and DNS?

If you have the resources to setup an SMTP server, you have the resources to setup your own DNS cache.

Of course one can easily find if mail goes to some outsourced service, and if the DNS queries go to some public DNS service.

Maybe a good way to make people aware of the load they put on other peoples's DNS servers would be to start an "SPF hall of shame". I know just enough about PHP and MySQL to make this happen. Anyone else willing to help?

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, but it smells like a witch hunt for ___ (still trying to figure out what the witchhunt is for, people who don't have a problem with DNS load increase being a part of SPF? Why? Have you ever checked to see the impact clients running SpamAssassin have on your DNS? I'll give you a hint: checking DNS blacklists not only increase DNS traffic *per workstation*, but the traffic usually has very low timeouts (the nature of blacklists) and so caching is minimal. SPF queries on the other hand are cached for normal times, usually upwards of hours or a couple days before a refresh is required).

My DNS record includes a couple ISP's whom I know my users send emails from without SMTP AUTH. Yes, my servers support SMTP AUTH. Yes, all my remote users should be using SMTP AUTH. Yes all new laptops are rolled out with SMTP AUTH.. No, in the short term I don't have time to visit all the executives houses to ensure a retrofit of SMTP AUTH to prevent SPF FAIL. So for the short term including the relevant ISP's is a short term workable solution.

Terry

Radu.

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf