Re: Re: DNS load research

2005-03-24 10:43:08
At 11:52 AM 3/24/2005 -0500, Radu wrote:

I'm not a 100% sure on the calculations either, and I was hoping that someone would go over them and do a sanity check. Hopefully not Scott-style, but more of an engineering check, where my assumptions are checked as well as my calculations and results. Perhaps David would do this ? :) Hint, hint, thank you in advance :)

Unfortunately, my knowledge of DNS is only Chapter 14 in Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated.

My take on the question of DNS loading is that the threat might be real, and the solution appears simple. So I'm focusing on the solution, until that appears not so simple, then I'll study DNS some more. So far I've only heard vague objections to making an SPF record compiler part of the running setup on a DNS server. It certainly doesn't require abandoning SPF, or even patching the DNS servers. An SPF compiling daemon could interface with a DNS server by simply updating the DNS records.

Even if the threat is not real, it has a lot of people worried, including the IETF. A simple fix will end the debate.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD          * email: dmquigg-spf(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com     *
*
* IC Design Engineer           * phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *