Long SPF Records

2005-03-25 05:43:49
What happens when DNS messages exceed 512 bytes?

Does DNS switch from UDP to TCP if the response is larger than 512 bytes? In that case, don't we get the same DNS traffic, even if the first item in an SPF record is a mask that terminates the search?

draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00, Section 3.1.4 - Record Size says that records that are too long MAY be silently ignored!! This section also implies that there is a fallback to TCP. ??

The DNS message header has a TC bit (truncated) to indicate that the packet was truncated at 512 bytes (including headers). Shouldn't this be used instead of "silently ignored"?

The TXT records for pobox.com are limited to 127 byte strings. This causes problems for tools like mxtoolbox.com, which "silently ignore" the extra records. Is there something special about 127 bytes that caused this limit in the TXT record length? See post by Andy Bakun, Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:32:40 -0600.

Are long SPF records really necessary? Can we expect large domains like rr.com, with many subdomains like austin.rr.com to simply delegate all DNS records to their subdomains, thus keeping them short and simple. The admins at rr.com could still keep everything centralized if they wished, but to the outside world, it would appear that austin.rr.com is an independent mail server with its own DNS records.

There is a question about caching that was answered earlier, but I think the answer may be wrong, so I'll ask again. Can a DNS server at rr.com cache the records from austin.rr.com, and thereby minimize the DNS traffic to its subdomains, or is caching limited to *only* the nameserver at the host making the query? Section 14.7 Caching, in Stevens TCP/IP Illustrated says "To reduce the DNS traffic on the Internet, all name servers employ a cache." The word *all* here makes this a pretty strong statement. Also, it makes sense that rr.com would cache austin.rr.com. Even with thousands of subdomains, it would be more efficient for rr.com to handle all the queries directly.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *