Re: DNS Query Format

2005-03-25 10:27:44

> >Which IP address?  IP Address in the DNS Query - did you mean
> >response?  The IP address of the requesting party is already known.  Sorry
> >to be obtuse, but I really don't understand what you mean.
>
> As I understand it, an SPF query generated by a receiver does not include
> the sender's IP address in that query. That IP address is passed as one of
> the arguments to the check_host() function, but it is not used when
> check_host() constructs the SPF query.  The DNS server which receives the
> query, therefore has no ability to run the SPF check itself, or to log the
> IP for later forensics, etc.

The IP address can be made available to the DNS server, by using the 'i' macro
letter to insert the IP address into some extended form of the domain to be
queried, thus making it available to the domain owner for validation, analysis,
etc..

I don't see how this works. The 'i' macro, to the DNS server, is nothing but a pattern ( like %{i} ) to be sent as part of a string in response to a query from the DNS client. As I understand it, that 'i' macro is expanded on the client side, so the server never sees the actual IP address. What I am proposing is that the actual IP address be sent in the original query.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD          * email: dmquigg-spf(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com     *
*
* IC Design Engineer           * phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *