Re: DNS Query Format

2005-03-28 14:09:29

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Chris Haynes wrote:

The "Additional Information" section in DNS messages is, according to RFC1035,
used only for responses. The obsolete RFC884 has some examples of it being used
in association with _special_ queries (not any that are used by SPF).  I cannot
find any query type in RFC1035 for which the "Additional Info" field is not
_required_ to be <empty> while the query is being transmitted to the server.

Of course, there are a further 19 RFCs which update RFC1035, which I have not
studied. If you can show us a use of "Additional Information" somewhere in one
of those, then I guess you will have made your point.

None that I know of.

From a more pragmatic standpoint, I would be amazed if any of the standard
software suites (bind, etc.) expect to find an "Additional Information" section in an inbound query, or would be able to do anything with it if it were present. Nor, I hazard, would any standard clients be prepared to send it for you.

Chris is right, but only partially. Basicly the interface to dns resolver and
dns library that almost all programs use do not have direct access to dns packet and let the library transform it into something usefull. At the same time bind library also includes low-level functions for directly parsing dns packet (almost as if you were doing it byte-byte) and with those you could potentially make use of this data. An example of utility that makes use of low-level functions is DIG and you can see its code about it.

However all this is not important considering that SPF does not have any
substantial influence on people who create dns software, many/most of them actually dislike SPF project and will do nothing to accomodate us, certainly northing close to what is being talked about. Additionally DNS is the most widely used TCP/IP protocol and current specs are part of hardware implementation of many servers, routers, firewalls, NAT, etc. As Paul Vixie said, it'd take 5 years (and this was his most liberal estimate) for most of the clients and servers to have been updated that new extensions can be relied upon by non-dns protocols.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks