Re: Re: DNS Query Format

2005-03-28 14:02:03
At 03:08 AM 3/28/2005 +0200, Frank wrote:

David MacQuigg wrote:

[radically snipping all, Radu burnt my SPF energy for today]

If you want new queries based on FQDN + IP please read the SIQ
draft, and maybe start a server translating SIQ queries into
traditional SPF evaluations (warning, the server gets the load).

It's the same idea as collecting MTAMARK details into a Dyn-IP
RBL, so that MTAs can continue to use RBLs, while IP-owners can
start to publish MTAMARKs.

The concept of a gateway.  Of course you can add many bells and
whistles, e.g. a closed-user-group for the SIQ server based on
SPF.  The funny part, the SIQ idea could even support PRA-style
queries.  And SURBL.  And RFCI.  And repudiation.  As long as
it's (FQDN + IP) => result it cando.  I'm stunned that nobody
loves it immediately.  And why they don't use SPF for a demo.

Frank, as usual I can understand only about 10% of what you write :>( However, the draft-irtf-asrg-iar-howe-siq-01 is quite interesting. Thanks for the lead.

This does seem like an alternative that avoids all the worries about loading DNS, etc., and provides the straightest possible path to the desired information - should I accept this email. As I understand it, a receiver (or forwarder) sends a simple query including the senders IP address and domain, and the service answers by not only authenticating the domain name, but providing whatever is known about the reputation of that domain. I'll bet Google could provide a service like this very effectively.

The service would still need to query DNS to get the SPF record for a domain (and maybe compile it to a list of IPs), but that would only be done maybe once a day. They could even provide a cache on the client side, as a downloadable plug-in.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD      email:  dmquigg-spf at yahoo.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                   9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.              Tucson, Arizona 85710        *