Re: Use of New Mask Mechanism

2005-03-26 11:15:35
At 11:53 AM 3/26/2005 -0500, Radu wrote:

Once again, the mask would not work as a mechanism (unless it was in include, like Frank mentioned), because each mechanism can return a match. the mask modifiers can return a match only after *all of them* have been checked against the IP. Think of a mask like m=65/6 m=214/6. For senders in the 214 net, your proposed -!ip4 mechanism would wrongfully declare the 214 sources as "FAIL".

Oops. I thought I understood these masks, but I missed it. OK, so what this "mask" mechanism really says is, the IP address must match one or another mask range AND match at least one of the subsequent mechanisms. I guess this is really more of an educational problem than a syntax problem. Luckily, dummies like me won't have to create these masks, we'll just see them in a compiled record, and click the "What's This" button if we really want to know what they are. Since this is syntax for a compiled record only, let's not worry about making it more self-explanatory. m= is OK.

Also, I would revert back to my original syntax that allows m=65/6 instead of requiring m=65.0.0.0/6. Both would work of course, but the simpler syntax would be legal. This is because I don't understand why that syntax has to be compatible with other systems. Maybe someone can explain. I think that as long as the checkers recognize the mask modifier, they will also know (from the draft) how to interpret its contents.

I like your shorter syntax, particularly since the need for these modifiers arises from records that are getting too long to squeeze into a DNS packet.

-- Dave
* David MacQuigg, PhD      email:  dmquigg-spf at yahoo.com      *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                   9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.              Tucson, Arizona 85710        *