SMTP Pipelining

2005-04-08 07:57:45
Some of you may recall the recent discussion on DNS loading ;)

At one point in the discussion, there was some disagreement over whether
multiple SMTP commands could be sent in a single packet.  IIRC, based on
testing, it appeared that some MTAs supported this and some didn't.

I recently ran across RFC 2920, SMTP Service Extension for Command
Pipelining, which clears it up for me:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2920.txt

It seems to me that the risk of DNS overload due to a DoS attack, as
described in the previous thread, might be significantly greater for SMTP
servers that have pipelining enabled.

Perhaps a note to this effect might be in order in the -01 draft?

Any thoughts?

Scott Kitterman