Re: spf with online forms

2005-05-02 13:29:45
E-Bay does LOTS of inappropriate things - like making judgment calls on who
can use their service and who cannot - based on the links contained in a
website.  I quit using E-Bay a long time ago.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Roger
B.A. Klorese
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 15:12
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] spf with online forms

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Andrew Gutkowski wrote:

I don't really care if it's appropriate or not.  I care if we will be
receiving legitimate email from mail web servers which utilize this
practice.  I consider ebay.com to be a legitimate web site.  They are
not the only legitimate site out there which uses this either.

Legitimate, appropriate.  Tomayto, tomahto.

What makes a site "legitimate"?  Do you mean EBay is "legitimate" because
they're not a scam?

Is a "legitimate" site therefore allowed to do anything it wants?  To me,
even in the absence of SPF, if a site originates mail with an
envelope-sender domain it doesn't serve, it's acting inappropriately,
which makes it illegitimate.

Yes, many sites do this.  Well-designed sites do not.

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf