Re: The (almost) final SPFv1 spec: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5

2005-05-05 22:09:06
wayne wrote:

You mean invalid input for DNS queries?

Yes, I thought that that's what Julian was talking about.

characters above 127 are perfectly valid

Sigh.  I'll never understand DNS.  OTOH I got parts of the
"zone cut" after you pretended that it's obvious, so better
don't rely on my ignorance. ;-)

| By convention, domain names can be stored with arbitrary
| case, but domain name comparisons for all present domain
| functions are done in a case-insensitive manner, assuming
| an ASCII character set, and a high order zero bit.

That's only about the comparison, not the label.  Banging my
head against the next wall and cursing Rfc 1034:

| The rationale for this choice is that we may someday need
| to add full binary domain names for new services; existing
| services would not be changed.

This kind of thing drives the DNS gurus batty because it
causes so much confusion.

It also drives mere mortals like me crazy.  Somewhere deep in
an FYI about this stuff they've even explained your "toplabel",
but I know no normative source.
                                Bye, Frank