Re: The (almost) final SPFv1 spec: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5

2005-05-03 08:02:19
At 01:25 AM 5/3/2005 -0500, wayne wrote:

I have just released a newer version of the SPF Internet-Draft.  This
version differs from the -01pre4 version announced last week *ONLY* in
cosmetic ways.

The reason for this release is because, as Frank pointed out, I need
to use new IETF boilerplate.  This required me to upgrade the version
of xml2rfc that I've been using to v1.29.  Unfortunately, v1.29
changes a lot of formatting, and, in most cases, the changes makes
things look very ugly.  This has caused a very large amount of rework
on the XML and I ended up having to do manual formating via <vspace/>
and &nbsp; to get things to look ok.

Is there no way to avoid this torture? Your HTML version below is much more readable than even the best formatted TXT. I assume you can output it also in PDF.

From section 2 of "Guidelines to Authors of Internet Drafts":
PostScript and/or PDF are acceptable, but only when submitted with a matching ASCII version (even if figures must be deleted).

If the ASCII version can be missing figures, they must be assuming people will actually read the PDF version. Surely they won't demand perfect formatting in the TXT version.

I'm surprised they don't accept HTML also. Is there anyone in the world that can't read at least the W3C subset of HTML?

These are supposed to be drafts, not final documents. I would make the HTML and PDF versions nice, do the minimum necessary on the TXT version, and wait until it is accepted as an RFC before slaving over the TXT version.

The alternative is to sacrifice the nice formatting and just write the document in TXT from day 1.

--
Dave

I will treat comments on -01pre4 and -01pre5 identically.  If you
*haven't* started to review the draft *and* you are going to submit
patches to the XML rather than the text, I would appreciate if you
would send patches to the -01pre5 draft, but it is not required.

Changes from -01pre4:

* I discovered that the .txt file created by xml2rfc differs slightly
  from the .txt file created from the .nr files that xml2rfc creates.

  Since the RFC-editor will want the nroff file, the .txt file that
  I'm publishing is now generated from the .nr file and formatting
  issues are now tweaked to make the .nr files look right.

* I have tweaked the formatting so that the .html file generated by
  xml2rfc look a little better, but it still has a lot of ugly parts.
  Since the .html file is not a controlling document, I'm not worrying
  too much about it.

* The title of the I-D has been tweaked to look more like other RFC
  titles.

The drafts are in the same place as last time:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5.html
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5.nr
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01pre5.xml

A diff and a wdiff between this version and the previous version can
be found at:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00.xml.diff.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00.xml.wdiff.txt

-wayne

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf

* David MacQuigg, PhD     email: david_macquigg at yahoo.com     *  *
* IC Design Engineer            phone:  USA 520-721-4583      *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                 *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.            Tucson, Arizona 85710          *