Re: For SPF council review: Syntax error = Perm error = Message should be rejected?

2005-05-03 08:49:27
Hello,

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Daniel Taylor wrote:
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2005, wayne wrote:
1) Treat PermError as "None"
No
Agreed.

Agree.

2) Treat PermError as "Fail"
No
Agreed.

Agree.

3) RECOMMEND PermError be rejected via SMTP 5xx responses
Good.
Significantly better than 2), my preferred option.

Agree.

4) RECOMMEND PermError be temporarily rejected via SMTP 4xx responses
Not as good.
Forbidden by the existing e-mail RFC's IIRC.
Transmission errors that require intervention to clear are
supposed to be flagged by 5xx codes, 4xx codes are reserved
for failures (overloaded server and such) that can clear themselves.

Agree.

5) On PermError, MAY accept message but send DSN describing error.
If DSN is not accepted, then REJECT as in 3.
Acceptable, and in the spirit of being strict with what is sent, but
relaxed on what is accepted. I wouldn't complain if this were
the consensus position.

Agree.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb(_at_)zenez(_dot_)com>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047