Re: Time to start rejecting on neutral?

2005-05-17 11:53:43
Thanks for your pennies. :-)

I just hope I wasn't giving you the idea that I was "promoting" the
eliminating of relaxed provisions.

No, I accept that it might be needed, but I strongly feel it only make sense
from a time limited based.

Note: I have not Wayne's spec yet. I am still an original SPF implemented
using Meng's specs.

The reason stated for relaxed provisions was predominated for "migration"
reasons, to allow systems to get their networks in order.    Eventually, it
should be made a hard results - pass or fail.

What I am saying is that Migration implies an inherent "time frame" and we
should enforce this concept so that the relaxed provisions do not become the
automatic default for everyone.

As far as I am concern, if a domain is relaxed, it was a worthless lookup as
far as the SPF server is concern.   It doesn't check any futher
authentication concepts for systems that have more than one.   For these
type of systems, the made be able to trap the malicious transaction using
other means.   But for a system just using SPF, their system would be over
burden.

Now, I also agree there is the forwarding problem.  Using Relaxed provisions
should not be something that a SPF administrator relies on to solve the
problem.  No, they should work very hard to get their network in order.
Otherwise, it is worthless information for SPF servers and will be until the
network is secured.

Now, we also have the potential of a relay system.  Well, thats another
matter that requires the RELAY to do other things:

         MUA---> MSA/MTA --->  MDA/MTA --->  MDA

As far as the MSA/MTA transaction to the MDA, it did its job.

If the MDA/MTA  is an SPF server, then it this is called a transistion point
and it needs to modified the return path (SRS).

So in my view a MDA/MTA purports to supports SPF and it knows for sure it
will be routing mail, then they need to do SRS.

If the MDA/MTA does not support SPF, then we have a problem at MDA.   This
is where the MDA could look at the HOPs to check the original MSA/MTA.  But
this is a problem whether it is relaxed or hard results.

Base on my SPF experience, I think the forwarding issue is less of an issue
than the high potential exploitation of relaxed provisions.

If we don't address this, then ultimately, it could make SPF utterly useless
as it will most definitely be exploited by spammers once they see that a
"widely adopted SPF network" is forcing them to look for the loophole.

Just my nickle :--)

http://www.santronics.com