Re: People keep misunderstanding what "Pass" and "Neutral" mean

2005-05-25 13:18:48
On 25/05/05, Arjen de Korte <spf+discuss(_at_)de-korte(_dot_)org> wrote:
Julian Mehnle schreef:

[...] the scores for a SPF 'neutral' are set to a virtually non-scoring
0.001 points by default in this patch. Unless someone actually changes
it from the defaults, I don't believe the patch as it is will cause any
message to be rejected.
So then what's the point of that SA rule in the first place?

That's an open door. To allow people to add points? There are many more
rules in SA which are set to very low values (0.001) or even disabled by
default (set to '0'). People reading the documentation find that they
can change them if they want, while others that install the stuff 'as
is' will not be bitten by them. I considered scoring on SPF 'neutral'
results controversial enough to award it a low score by default. By
doing so it shows up in the list of rules that hit, but will not have
any real influence on the result without adding a custom score for them.
People awarding more than a fractional amount of points in this case are
probably the same that actually considered SMTP rejecting on SPF
'neutral', so we're not loosing anything here.

Still, a part of the comments in the rule's definition reads:

# "Neutral" can be pretty bad too (if the domain owner doesn't want
# to be responsible, who will?)

"Pretty bad", right? ;-)

Right. It can be pretty bad, it doesn't necessarily mean it *is* bad. At
the time of writing that patch (almost a year ago) it was not clear if
the domains publishing '?all' were going to be forged frequently or not.
That's why I wrote *can* be pretty bad. If that wording is too strong,
that's probably due to my poor command of the English language (as a
non-native speaker).

I've just subscribed to the list, so I haven't followed the whole
conversation, sorry if my points have already been mentioned/solved...

I think that we need to distinguish between ?all and ?somedomain. For
example, I sent all of my outgoing messages from my own home server, while
my domain is hosted in a datacentre. In this case, if I don't want to do any
special set-up for my home server, I can just tell in the spf for my domain
"v=spf1 a mx ?ptr:dyn.sprint-hsd.net <http://dyn.sprint-hsd.net> -all". By
this rule, I'm telling everyone that every piece of mail from China, Korea
etc that claims to be from my domain should be rejected, while mail from the
Sprint DSL network, where my home outgoing mail server is located, is most
likely legitimate.

In real life, the aforesaid rule should give the correct results in 98% of
the cases of forgery.

I.e. I think that if an SPF record has just one (let's say no more than
eight) neutral records, that are wildcasting to not more than /16 networks
and not more than second-level domains, then SPF-parser should treat these
Neutral records in the same fashion as if they were Pass records, minus,
let's say, 25% of the positive non-spam score that an analogous Pass record
would give.

In this situation, the owner of the domain wants to clearly exclude all
forgery, but at the same time does not want to accept responsibility for his
fellow DSL users from the same network as he is. That's why he would want to
create a neutral record.

P.S. I've only received one spam letter from Sprint DSL network this year,
while the number of spams from comcast.net <http://comcast.net>, where I was
already blocking "client.comcast.net <http://client.comcast.net>", was more
than 210 in a period of less than two months! (I've blocked the whole
comcast.net <http://comcast.net> now, because they don't seem to have any
special subdomains for their dynamic connections anymore.)
One funny thing is that I'm Russian, my server is in Russia, and I mostly
get spam in Russian, nevertheless, less than 1% of the spam comes from
Russian hosts -- it mostly comes from the US, LACNIC-networks
(200.0.0.0/7<http://200.0.0.0/7>is blocked), Korea, China, Italy etc.
I guess, spammers figure that spamming
cross-nations is extremely effective, because people cannot complain about
the spam in their native language, hence spam continues due to the fact that
all abuse reports are written in non-native languages and might be
misunderstood.

Cheers,
Constantine.

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf