New SPFv1 spec: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre2

2005-06-05 13:25:05

I'm releasing an updated draft that encorporates all reviews that I
know of to date.  Based on past experience, the SPF council meeting
later today will almost certainly generate some more updates.

My plans are as follows:

I will collect any further comments and publish a last -02preXX
sometime Monday morning (USA time).

Unless I hear of any *REALLY* compelling complaints, in the afternoon
(USA time) I will submit the I-D to the IETF for review as a
Standard Track RFC.  As was predicted, there has been some pushback
From the IESG about switching from an Experimental status.  The IESG
will make the final call on what status the I-D will be published as,
but I think it has been productive to try for Standard Track.  If
nothing else, it has made the IESG aware that we feel that we have a
stable spec that we will be pushing forward on.  The IESG has made
mention that they want to see "data collected" on the SPF protocol, so
we may well need to write up a "lessons learned" document before we
can advance to a Standard Track RFC.

The drafts are in the same place as last time:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre2.html
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre2.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre2.nr
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre2.xml

A diff and a wdiff between this version and the previous version
(-02pre1) can be found at:

http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre1.xml.diff.txt
http://www.schlitt.net/spf/spf_classic/changes_from_draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02pre1.xml.wdiff.txt

Changes from -02pre1:

* As per the council vote, the definition of Neutral has been updated
  to say, in wdiff notation:

    The domain owner has explicitly stated that they [-don't know-]
    {+cannot or do not want to assert+} whether the IP address is
    authorized or not.

* Sections 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 were updated to make the distinction
  between "multiple TXT RRs" and "multiple strings within a TXT" clearer.

* A normative reference to US-ASCII has been added.

* Text describing how to lookup and process the SPF records has been
  removed from section 3.1.1. "DNS Resource Record Types" and merged
  into sections 4.4 "Record Lookup" and 4.5 "Selecting Records"

* Section 4.5 "Selecting Records" has been updated to give an
  algorithm that says to return a PermError when it discovers that SPF
  and TXT records don't match.

* In section 6.1 "redirect: Redirected Query", the semantics have been
  changed to specify a result of PermError instead of None in cases
  where the target domain does not have any SPF records.

* In section 6.2 "exp: Explanation", it is explained that the record must be
  in US-ASCII due to requirements of RFC2821.

* In section 6.2 "exp: Explanation", the duplicate warning about
  source being from a third party was deleted.

* As per the council vote, a note has been added to section 9.3.1.2
  warning about domain labels being over 63 characters.

-wayne