Re: Suggesting SMTP and DSN codes in case receiver chooses to reject on TempError and PermError

2005-06-06 09:34:46
In <200506061829(_dot_)21158(_dot_)bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

Frank Ellermann wrote:
Add the "if a message is rejected" blurb with the proper DSN codes to
"PermError" (same style as TempError/SoftFail/Fail) - [sarcasm snipped]

The definition of TempError says:

| 2.5.6.  TempError
|
|    [...]  If the message is rejected during the SMTP transaction for this
|    reason, the software SHOULD use an SMTP reply code of 451 and, if
|    supported, the 4.4.3 DSN code.

I agree that we should say the same (with s/451/550/, s/4.4.3/5.4.3/) for
PermError.

I strongly disagree.  The that would make the implication that it is
ok to reject on PermError, which conflicts with mengwong-spf-* saying
that you MUST treat it the same as None.  Are you also suggesting that
we publish DSN codes for None and Neutral also?

I am not comfortable about dropping the semantics of mengwong-spf-*,
but we had a vote on the council and I lost, so I updated the draft
accordingly.  Now you want to go back and revisit the issue?

no.

-wayne