Re: This is ridiculous.

2005-06-09 07:19:01
Scott Kitterman wrote:

snip
* Please read the concerns raised by the head of anti-abuse
at Outblaze on Circle ID and the related references.
http://www.circleid.com/article/1039_0_1_0_C/

Finally, ask yourself this question.

The head of anti-abuse at Outblaze, wrote a report for the
OECD setting out "Actions Required by Developing Economies
Against Spam." http://www.circleid.com/article/1095_0_1_0_C/

snip

"And the implication of publishing SPF records absolutely forces people to
rely only on their email provider's mailserver assuming the restrictive -
all SPF record..."

I've got mechanisms in my SPF record for three different mail service
providers in my SPF record (including one mail server sitting in my office).
How did my publishing SPF force me to do anything?

Do you understand this?

Scott K
As a hosting provider, SPF is not going to be fun. We have users who use only their ISP for email, we have users with aliases to their ISP, we have users with POP accounts for incoming and we have users with POP accounts using us for both incoming and outgoing. And then there is webmail... yes, some only use webmail. :)

Almost all of these clients are businesses and it seems like perhaps as many as 75% can't even set up an email account in their mail client and don't want to be bothered with learning that simple task.

Now, they are very upset and in panic mode if their email does not work, as many of our clients receive 80% or more of their business from the internet. So, it is easy to sit back and say "learn about email", but they don't. They just call to be walked through the simple settings again and again.

As we impliment SPF, I'm going to need to go through each clients individual setup and very slowly add SPF records to those which we can.

I have one question. How am I supposed to convey to our 'average' user which sends through their ISP using their domainname as the from address, that we need the mailserver info from their ISP? Or have their ISP add records for their domain? Whew!! Gee, I just got a little confused myself!

ISPs still don't 'get it' with regards to rev DNS! Gee.... this is going to be a LONG uphill battle. One I'm willing and happy to undertake.... but email is never going to be the same again.

John Hinton