RE: SPF 2/3 maybe it is time to get this going.

2005-06-18 01:16:22
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Boyd Gerber wrote:
After the last council session and what I read from the IETF/IESG, maybe
the next generation needs to be done.  I am very glad we have a SPF V1
Spec and it documents what exists now.  From all the rumbling, on the
standards list, it appears they really want the next generation of SPF.
Maybe we should take some time and start developing it.

I am not suggesting to stop the work on getting the existing version as an
RFC, but with what has been happening a Revised/Version 2/3 SPF may make a
lot of sense.  It seems they really want something that has come from the
1.5-2.0 years of SPF experience.  This may be an opportunity to get
something done.  We have been waiting now for almost a year since MADRID,
to start on the next version.  So maybe it should get started.

So maybe somebody who has free time that isn't really busy finishing v=spf1
or supporting the existing user base should do that.  What are you
volnteering to do?

I do not have a lot of time but I have been reading the list since late
2003.  I have seen a lot of good ideas.  I wish we had a wiki or some
public place that members of the group could add all the ideas for the
next version.  Maybe with the new website design?  I would be willing to
setup a FAQ-O-Matic for the project, see

http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html

If the council would like me to set one up.  I would be glad to do it.  I
use it for the SCO Programmers FAQ and the SCO UnixWare 7.X.X/OpenUNIX
8.0.0 FAQ.  If you would like see what FAQ-O-Matic looks like in a real
world usage...

http://www.zenez.com/cgi-bin/scoprogfaq/faq
http://www.zenez.com/cgi-bin/ou8faq/faq

I hate to mention SCO because of what they are currently doing but this
goes back to the late 80's early 90's.  When I think they had the best
product for the X86 architecture.  I am very OSS minded, I use SUSE Linux
now but started with the 1.0 or 2.0 linux a long time ago.  I support many
OSS projects so please do not FLAME me for mentioning them.  I support the
SCO OS's because my clients need to use the OS's.  I try to support any
UNIX/Linux based OS.  I truely hate Mircosoft OS's and would really like
to see Unix/Linux become the main desktop.

I really feel that we need some place that things could be organized and
have those who can list what they can do and when.  Right now, I think
many would glady aide/support SPF but they really do not know how they
could assist in the project.  I think having a place to sign-up, list SPF
project needs, and keep track of them is needed.  A wiki or FAQ-O-Matic
could be used to assist in this.

When someone like me has extra time they could go to the list, and maybe
do an item or assist with moving it forward.  I know that with the new
website design much of this may be done from what Julian has out lined.

I think that having a place to document all the ideas that have been
posted for the next version would be good.  I know there has been many.
Like op= ...

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb(_at_)zenez(_dot_)com>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047