RE: SPF 2/3 maybe it is time to get this going.

2005-06-18 01:34:57

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Scott Kitterman wrote:

Hi All,

After the last council session and what I read from the IETF/IESG, maybe
the next generation needs to be done.  I am very glad we have a SPF V1
Spec and it documents what exists now.  From all the rumbling, on the
standards list, it appears they really want the next generation of SPF.
Maybe we should take some time and start developing it.

I do not disagree that we should be working on spf3, I was hoping we
could do that start of the year.

But we really do need to finish the things with IETF and IESG for spf1 or get to understanding that its not going to be possible. I think we will know how things turn out within next couple months at most (IESG would have opportunity for direct discussions on IETF meeting in Paris).

I am not suggesting to stop the work on getting the existing version as an
RFC, but with what has been happening a Revised/Version 2/3 SPF may make a
lot of sense.  It seems they really want something that has come from the
1.5-2.0 years of SPF experience.  This may be an opportunity to get
something done.  We have been waiting now for almost a year since MADRID,
to start on the next version.  So maybe it should get started.

Summer is not necessarily best time to start working on projects because people who can contribute are abscent at various times. I don't think we will loose anything if we wait until the Fall and then no matter how it
turns out with IETF (but knowing how it turns out may still be useful for
v3) we start on v3.

So maybe somebody who has free time that isn't really busy finishing v=spf1
or supporting the existing user base should do that.  What are you
volnteering to do?

We should all get ready to seriously work on it not one or two people.

But if somebody wants to just collect ideas (as has been suggested) that
is fine, I just don't think anything more then that should be done at
this point until we're ready.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks