Re: Community Vote: Official Project Domains -- Results

2005-06-29 22:31:00

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Julian Mehnle wrote:

Dear council, dear community,

today at 00:00 UTC the first community vote of the SPF project, "Official
Project Domains", has ended.  These are the results:

 http://www5.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/andru/civs/results?id=E_4995a148aacc26c1

| 1. openspf, open-spf
| 2. spfclassic, spf-classic
|    (loses to openspf, open-spf by 23--9)
| 3. spf-mail
|    (loses to openspf, open-spf by 25--8,
|     loses to spfclassic, spf-classic by 19--11)
| [...]

The council will now deliberate which exact domains to declare the official
project domains and contact the owners of these domains with regard to
transferral of the domains to the to-be-chosen trustee.

I hereby recommend that the following domains be declared permanent
official assets of the project, provided their owners agree to transfer
them to the control of the project:

 openspf.org (James Couzens, jcouzens(_at_)6o4(_dot_)ca)
 openspf.com (John Pinkerton, johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com)

I recommend not to maintain the "dashed" variants, open-spf.{org,com}.

I don't want to go into details but there are some pretty nasty things
miscreants can do with search engine tricks to cause people to come to
"-" sites instead of original. If SPF Council is not inclined to keep "-" variants, I'd encorage John Pinkerton to not let those domains expire and
to redirect to primary spf site (even if they are not otherwise used).

Since the runner-up spfclassic/spf-classic is far from similar to the
winner, I further recommend not to maintain it, either.

That is up to Wayne what he wants to do with those domains, but I certainly expect to have spf-mail still be available for projects
further use if the need arises later in the next 2 years. Good names
that have considerable interest from the community should not be
discarded right away as situation and project needs may change.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks