Re: non-SPF domains with MX SPF domains

2005-07-02 22:42:14

"william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> wrote in message

If hostname referred to by MX has SPF, that should be assumed to be SPF
record used for HELO. What this could mean is that some other domain
(not necessarily the one you're looking at) is using the same mail server
for outbound mail and that domain is using SPF but I do not think you can
use this mx spf record for anything else just by guessing.

I screwed up with the original description. See my post to Stuart where I
got more specific.

In short, I was trying to see if there was some correlation that could be
"detected."

What if this the sender turned out to be malicious or spammer?

I know we can probably report it to the ISP.  But I was thinking (just a
though <g>) if the ISP was already SPF ready, since he was also hosting the
MX host for the customer's email domain, should the ISP assume some
responsibility to make sure his hosted domains are secured too?

http://www.santronics.com