Re: Re: SPF+SRS vs. BATV

2005-07-05 07:39:47
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 09:33 -0500, wayne wrote:
I would certainly like to see more effort being put into things like
SES or BATV or ABBS.  I like the idea, especially when combined with
SPF to use lighter weight callbacks than using SMTP and only doing
the callbacks when the email is forwarded (or forged).

Yeah, I think the lightweight 'callback' part should have been
documented separately. It can be useful as a replacement for SMTP
callbacks even without anything like SES or BATV -- simply for verifying
the existence of normal addresses. I did even go as far as writing a
draft at one point, but people seemed to get really upset with me for
that so I gave up on it.

Using something IP-based like SPF as a _whitelist_ for bypassing that
kind of lookup would make a lot of sense.

--
dwmw2