Re: Forwading/Redirecting: The problem as I see it....

2005-07-06 10:30:14
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:39 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
Because I get 30000 forged messages per day that are indistinguishable
at the SMTP envelope level from forwarded (in your "change the RCPT only"
sense) messages.  Versus < 100 real messages.  And that is just a small 5
person domain.

The numbers aren't particularly relevant; your underlying logic here is
what's flawed.

You're again pointing out that SPF has problems with forwarding, and
using _that_ as justification for a claim that forwarding is 'abuse'.

To come up with a scheme which cannot distinguish certain classes of
genuine mail from faked mail, and then declare that those classes of
genuine mail are therefore 'bad' in some way, doesn't make sense.

Accept that it's a genuine limitation of SPF which needs to be worked
around by SRS or other means, but all means. But let's not pretend that
there was anything wrong with it in the first place.

We can _all_ play that game. I could posit that all email which isn't
cryptographically signed is 'abuse' because I can't tell genuine mail
from fakes using GPG.... but that logic wouldn't make sense either.

--
dwmw2