Re: Hosting Company SPF Default Setting

2005-07-08 13:44:56
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, John Hinton wrote:

Given the above.... will the following record be my best alternative for
that 'starting point'? I don't yet know 'mx' nor 'ip'. I can't reason
that more could be a safe solution.

@    IN    TXT    "v=spf1 ?all"

I would suggest that you start with obvious stuff you know about,
like their host.  Your default record should indeed end with ?all
until the user has gone through the requirements for "strict" mode.

For comparison, I "guess" the following default record for any domain
with no SPF record: "v=spf1 a mx ptr ?all".

Your default should be something similar - but optimized for what you
do know about your customer.