Re: Andy Newton reports: SPF Adoption on the Rise

2005-07-08 14:07:28
Also we need to see the impact on a social network (per system) basis too.

For example, we can have 10 billion SPF records, but if no one is processing
them, it means nothing.

So it is important to get rates based on a per SPF receiver basis to measure
and compare the growth in usage per system and also how it reflects their
own social network.

For example,

For 2004:

Jan:  0.0%  of my checking sessions had SPF records
Feb:  0.7%
Mar:  1.3%
Apr:  2.6%
May: 4.1%
Jun:  3.7%
Jul:  4.0%
Aug: 3.9%
Sep 3.8%
Oct: 5.1%
Nov: 7.0%
Dec: 9.1%

For 2005:

Jan:  7.3%
Feb:  6.4%
Mar:  5.4%
Apr:  4.3%
May: 5.6%
Jun:  6.1%
Jul:  4.6%

Do definitely the growth is there on a per system basis.  I would say that
each SPF receiver system will have a similar growth pattern for thier own
network.

This could be extrapolated to the network as a whole, but the real important
is how many systems are really checking for SPF records and what they are
seeing for incoming networks.

Also, I wonder if the above pattern is steady state for my social network of
relationships and domains.  If it continues to grow then it might also
reflect the adoption rate of "spammer."

For example, it might sure how my vendors and customers are adapting SPF as
well since our product offers supports. Most of my legit mail is business or
support oriented.

http://www.santronics.com