Re: The IANA has assigned us DNS number 99 for SPF

2005-07-12 03:19:54
Jeroen Massar wrote:

$ host -t 99 sixxs.com
sixxs.com  99  #(                         ; unknown type
        76 3D 73 70 66 31 20 2D 61 6C 6C  ; v=spf1 -all
        )

Nice, with my old nslookup I have to use -q=any to get this:

sixxs.com       text = "v=spf1 -all"
sixxs.com       ??? unknown type 99 ???

It won't tell me what it is, adding -d2 at least shows the
lenght 11.  And tons of other stuff I'm not interested in ;-)

and microsoft will use the record :-( and go

Wrong.

They can't, as TYPE99 is assigned to
SPF    99   [RFC-schlitt-spf-classic-02.txt]

notice the 'schlitt-spf-classic' and not to anything in the
form of Sender-ID :)

The Sender-ID stuff is based on the SPF draft, and so they
inherit the same TYPE99 for spf2.0/pra policies.  At least
that's what I think how it's supposed to work.  And IMHO no
problem, they don't need another RR.

The problem is a "SHOULD treat v=spf1 as spf2.0/pra,mfrom"
in the senderid-core spec, because that's completely FUBAR.

A "SHOULD treat v=spf1 as spf2.0/mfrom" (no PRA) would work.

thus: fix that website and start doing SPF records.

Getting users to add a new record is something for later
when some tools and most implementations support it.  Bye