Re: Meng in the news

2005-07-12 07:35:31
william(at)elan.net wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, wayne wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/02/AR2005070201360.html

And it ends with:

"At some point I had to stop being a programmer and turn into a politician," Wong said. "I can only imagine what it's like for politicians to try to do something that not everybody wants to do."

Not at all surprising confession to me, the technological excellence
is  obviously not a concern once you're on that road and politicians
have to go where big money is taking them...

"surprising confession"????? "big money"?????????

There have been a few insinuations that Meng jumped ship to rub elbows with the big boys. Well, I could be wrong but I personally think this is very nearsighted. The ONLY way SPF could ever possibly make it is if some of those 'big boys' were on board. I think Meng went up against the monsters of the computer political world, won many allies, got screwed by the one we would expect to screw open source and the bottom line is SPF came out pretty strong after all was said and done.

Anyone who thinks that this was all about writing the best program (field of dreams) and that somehow the world would adopt it (if you build it they will come), needs to get their puritanical head out from under the rock. All end users want less spam. All service providers to those end users want more money. I'm actually a bit surprised (and very pleased) that we have actually landed where we have. This was the perfect opportunity for one large computer company to take over the 'next frontier' of computing and quite frankly I'm pleased it didn't go there........ yet.

I believe we all may owe a bit more to Meng (and I'm sure others) than most of us have thought about. Politics are involved at every level. SPF had to be 'sold' to you, you have to 'sell' SPF to your clients....... Without the big boys on board (who sold it to them?).... were would we be?

No wonder Meng is rarely seen here anymore. What a bunch of turncoats we have here.....

John Hinton

ps. This has been the bottom line of my 'harping' about the website, 'selling' SPF. I'm sure thousands are visiting that site to get SPF going. I simply feel we are shooting the project in the foot, losing potential new users of SPF each day. It's all about saturation.