Re: John Levine says: SPF Loses Mindshare?

2005-08-04 07:20:37
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:

I think this is a bug in the specification.  An "include" referencing
a domain without any SPF record should result in TempError, not
Neutral.  This reduces the risk that legitimate mail is bounced
because the DNS is temporarily out of sync after a DNS update which
involves multiple zones.

In this case, and in every other that has come up, it is a *good*
thing that the mail bounced.  Sheesh.  People here act like a DSN
(bounce) is equivalent to the bit bucket.  I was informed immediately
of the problem with earthlink (which was *not* temporary and would
*not* fix itself) and was able to take action to resolve it.

If the receiver had followed your idea, I would still be in the dark
about the broken SPF record.